Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Miserable sinner

I was very angry today (justifiably so, I must add) and took my anger out on some poor unsuspecting call-centre worker who didn't derserve it. Call centres are such a ubiquitous part of 21st century commerce that it's easy to forget that the people who work in them are not the company they work for. They're usually just lowly aparatchiks struggling on poor wages and lousy conditions.

So now I am filled with remorse.

I have phoned back and apologised - not for being angry (which, as I've said, was entirely justified) but for making this poor soul the target of my anger.

Don't feel much better though. In fact I feel like a complete miserable idiot and, what's worse, a Bad Person!

Having said that, the call-centre person at the Royal Mail the other day did a much better job of handling Angry Caller than did today's. Royal Mail Woman was not in the least defensive, was friendly and charming, offered me a hearftfelt apology for my trouble and sidetracked me into a bit of banter about the name 'Jennie' (her daughter's name too apparently). She also dealt with my complaint efficiently and to my utter satisfaction. Very different from today's experience in every way.

Which however neither justifies nor excuses my behaviour.

Sorry!

No comments: